Langenberger was Anaheim’s first merchant, establishing a general store in 1858 when the
first vineyards were being planted.
Langenberger was the son in law of Juan Pacifico Ontiveros – the rancher who sold the original
Anaheim townsite to the German colonists.
The general store – on Lincoln Avenue between Lemon Street and Anaheim Boulevard –
also served as a post office, Wells Fargo depot, hotel, restaurant, bar and home for the
A German native, Langenberger emigrated to the United States in 1846. He joined the
California Gold Rush two years later before heading south to Anaheim in 1850.
Langenberger remarried after his wife died, naming a city street – Clementine – after his new bride, Clementina.
He served on the city council, school board and county board of supervisors.
“Professor” J.H.T. Dean, a black man, was the town’s pioneer barber – operating the Anaheim Shaving Salon.
An 1872 Anaheim Gazette advertisement announced the opening of the barber shop, which included bathing facilities: “The front room is fitted up for the barbering department. In the rear are two fine bath rooms served with hot and cold water. The public is invited to inspect the arrangements which have been made for their comfort.”
Anaheim’s first postmaster, Fischer built the Planters Hotel at Anaheim Boulevard and Lincoln
Avenue in 1865.
In June 1871, the Planters burned down. Soon afterward, while Fischer was haggling with his
insurance adjuster, Henry Kroeger announced that he would build the Anaheim Hotel at Lincoln
Avenue and Lemon Street.
Fischer countered – declaring he would rebuild the Planters….and the “Great Anaheim Hotel Battle”
Within weeks, workmen were busily constructing both hotels, each trying to outpace the other.
By October, the Anaheim Hotel’s roof – and very little else – was
completed. A big celebration with dinner, music and a flag raising
ceremony followed to dedicate the unfinished building.
Not to be outdone, Planters began letting rooms in December. It
opened with a grand ball and elaborate supper.
Kroeger tried to rebound, announcing that the Anaheim would have
a billiard table with “wire spring cushions and elegantly made of
beautiful California wood” – but the race was lost.
The doors to the Anaheim ultimately swung open in January.
MORRIS A. MENDELSON
Mendelson’s Clothing and Merchant Tailoring Emporium offered the finest in “gents furnishings.”
A humorous advertisement in an early Anaheim newspaper reads: “Young man! Ain’t you ashamed to go see your girl in those
old clothes? Pitch them over the back fence and give M.A. Mendelson & Co. your order for a nobby ‘sparking’ suit. She will be
surprised and pleased at your improved appearance.”
FERDINAND BACKS AND JOSEPH BACKS
The Backs brothers opened a
furniture store at Los Angeles and
Chartres Streets in 1871 – and were
immediately overwhelmed with
The newly constructed Anaheim
Hotel and Planters Hotel needed
upholstered furniture – and they
called on the Backs brothers to do
In 1878, the Backs built an
undertaking business next door to the
furniture shop and started building
A few years later, both brothers
became embalmers and expanded into
the mortuary business.
Mott opened the Bank of Anaheim in 1876. It was the city’s first bank.
Most of Anaheim bank’s stock was owned by the Commercial Bank of Los Angeles.
The Bank of Anaheim grew slowly for two reasons: a depressed economy and a 1.5 percent monthly interest rate, one of the
highest in the state.
Most frontier residents avoided banks – entrusting their money to a reliable merchant who kept the money hidden at the store.
With Anaheim’s growing wine industry, there was a constant need for something to hold all the crushed grapes.
Charles Wille’s cooperage, on Cypress Street near Anaheim Boulevard, built wooden tanks, barrels, and other containers.
In 1878, the cooperage made 1,200 barrels – holding 20 to 25 gallons each.
While Anaheim was primarily known for its grapes and the wine they produced, the city also
fermented its share of beer.
Conrad operated the California Brewery in a long brick building on Adele Street near Anaheim
Boulevard. A brew pub offered a cool atmosphere and lager on tap.
Before brewing and before the Walt Disney Company, Conrad experimented in the entertainment
In 1875, be bought an acre of land on Lincoln Avenue near Manchester Avenue and built Tivoli
Gardens, a miniature imitation of the world famous amusement park in Denmark.
The Anaheim theme park – which featured a dance hall, bowling alley and croquet court – was
Schindler, who operated a brickyard at Broadway near Euclid Avenue, erected many of the early brick buildings in Anaheim.
The bricks were formed and fired by Chinese workmen.
Schindler also did cement work – laying most of the first sidewalks and curbs in the city.
THOMAS S. GRIMSHAW
Grimshaw, son of an English carriage maker, wanted to follow in his father’s footsteps. So he studied mechanical drawing and
After a stint as a master car builder for a Buenos Aires railroad company, Grimshaw moved to California in 1876 and eventually
settled in Anaheim.
A skilled wood worker, he opened a carriage and wagon shop. In 1878, Grimshaw teamed up with a local blacksmith to build a
hearse for the Back’s brothers’ undertaking business.
In 1899, Grimshaw built and operated a planing mill at Lemon and Santa Ana Streets.
Clark arrived in Anaheim in 1871 and opened a store. He sold books, stationery and periodicals.
Clark formed a partnership with H.S. Austin and “Clark & Austin” started a circulating library. In 1873, the library had 102
subscribers who paid $5 annually to borrow books.
In addition to lending books, Clark & Austin sold many items – including toys. The partnership ended in the mid 1870s when
Clark went to try his hand at silver mining in the Santa Ana mountains.