Frederick Boege. Timm Boege came to Anaheim from Holstein, Germany in 1861, just 4 years after the founding of our
community. Shortly after arrival in town, he purchased from the Sterns Rancho Company a quarter section of land Southwest
of town. Always a public spirited man, when the Southern Pacific Railroad was coming into Anaheim in 1874, with much
community opposition, Timm Boege donated 40 acres for the right of way and station. He became a City Trustee during the
formative years of our community.
today on Manchester Avenue as the old C&R Blueprint Building. Timm also built several other buildings in very early downtown
A few years after his arrival, Timm married Olga Luedke, a daughter of one 0f Anaheim’s pioneer families. Ten children were raised, the eldest son, Charles A. being born on September 14th, 1874. Charles went on to become the cashier of the German American Bank, the same bank that his father Timm was a joint founder of years earlier.
Charley, as he was affectionately known, also became a strong civic supporter, drafting the $10,000 grant request from Andrew Carnegie for the new library, and being elected City Treasurer in 1908 serving until 1912. He was reelected in 1916 and continued to serve thereafter, later becoming Anaheim’s longest serving official. For his municipal services, he was paid $200 per month.
The community had clamored for a municipal park since the founding of Anaheim. Lack of funds had always prevented a
purchase of land until 20 acres were finally purchased in 1920 from Herman Dickel for $70,000 from a $100,000 bond issue.
The city was always cash short for park development, so much so that Anaheim developer, George W. Hamler offered to buy
the west half of the park property in January 1922 for $100,000.
His plan was to use the land for new homes facing Palm Street. This money could then be used to work on the park, at this
time still an orange and walnut grove. Surprising to us today, this proposal met with strong community support, however the
Board of Trustees tabled the idea.
Finally in 1923 another $100,000 bond issue was sold for park development. Nearly every year thereafter until 1928, a new
structure appeared at the park. Anaheim was known for many years as the “City with the Beautiful Park”.
Sycamore Street played a very important part in the early history of our community. Anaheim’s pioneer surveyor George
Hansen selected a low ridge that ran through this area for the right-of-way for the main water canal used to irrigate the original vineyards. This ridge that ran slightly southwest, and the canals that followed it, became Sycamore Street. Since all vineyard lots were surveyed at right angles to the main water canal, Anaheim’s streets became tilted also to the southwest giving our community it’s odd orientation to the rest of the county. The Anaheim Union Water Company later replaced the open canal with a buried pipeline at the insistence of the Sycamore Street property owners who were planning residential development.
This 20 acre track of land north of the park, known as Vineyard Lot B5, was originally part of the August Langenberger
property. Our Clementine Street was named in honor of Clementine Langenberger, August’s second wife. By November 1920
the Langenberger heirs had sold their property to Johan Heinrich (Henry) Siemers. By 1921, Henry Siemers had assembled a
group of Anaheim investors consisting of Joseph Clayes (Anaheim High School Principal), Westly Quarton (of the SQR store
fame), Horance Comstock (Anaheim High School Janitor) and their wives to purchase this portion of the Langenberger tract
for development. On July 15, 1921 these ten acres east of Clementine Street were officially subdivided into the “Park View
Tract” (County Tract #170).
Prior to development, the stately old two story Langenberger residence, which was located between today’s 500 and 510 North
Clementine Street was removed. Thankfully, a decision was made to keep many of the mature trees that adjoined the old
Langenberger home and some of these remain today, a legacy to one of Anaheim’s pioneer families.
In preparation of new home building, the City let a $13,538 contract to the Magonovich and Gellespie Company on February 15, 1922 for new sewer construction in this area. Taken for granted today, our early City Fathers needed to create a sewer outfall to the ocean before the major residential development of the 1920’s could proceed. Municipal water lines were later installed and Anaheim’s signature Westinghouse Flame Streetlights soon followed.
The Anaheim Gazette reported that on March 6, 1922 Charles Boege was granted a permit to build an $8,000, 7 room residence on North Clementine. This was one of the first homes built on the tract. At the time of its construction, this was one of Anaheim’s costliest homes. The Anaheim Gazette listed Frank Benchley as the architect. Benchley was a building contractor living in Fullerton at this time.
This Pueblo Revival house that resulted is similar to a few others in Anaheim, one located at 846 North Anaheim Boulevard and the beautiful example at 904 West Broadway. This home is built of hollow tile construction which results in outside walls almost 16″ thick.
Charles Boege, his wife Louise, daughter Katherine and son Arthur, lived quite comfortably here for many years. Charley often visited his brother Dr. John H. Boege and nephew Dr. John N. Boege at their dental offices, built by Simon Fluor, just down the street, at the corner of Sycamore and North Anaheim Boulevard.
March 3, 1938, very little damage was done in this area, the water just lapping at the porch steps. Homes closer to La Palma
Avenue were not as lucky.
name to Park Avenue. Fortunately the Board of Trustees did not respond to this suggestion.
Board. Unfortunately, by the mid 1930’s Louise had fallen into poor health, later becoming blind. Charley’s health began to fail
as well in the late 1930’s. Poor financial investments also took a toll on the family. These facts were to cause Anaheim’s first
major municipal scandal.
shortage, later found to be $5,827.95 was traced to Anaheim’s long time trusted treasurer. At the Trustee meeting of
Wednesday August 2, 1939, after tending his resignation, a physically and emotionally broken Charles was let away in
handcuffs by two County deputies to the Orange County Jail.
son Arthur’s home in Compton where she died in 1940. After Charley was released in 1941, he also lived with his son Arthur
until his passing in 1945. No local obituary was ever published for Charles, the scandal still warm in the community’s mind.
522 North Clementine Street. Dr. Irvin worked in the same medical office as Charley’s brother and nephew down the street.
Soon, the doctor, his wife Fern and two sons Charles Jr. and John moved in.
Norbert and Eleanor Faessel, recent transplants from Chicago were moving into the southland in 1938, Norb being a fruit and vegetable buyer for the Kroger Company in the east. After moving to Riverside then Pasadena, the young family located to Anaheim, then the Valencia orange capital, leasing the home at 602 North Lemon in August 1942.
By summer 1943, mom needed a permanent home for her three children. An acquaintance, Freda Trapp showed mom and dad around the area looking for potential home sites. The home at 700 North Clementine, today owned by Carl Karcher, was one of those considered.
Freda suggested they drop by to see Dr. Irvin who was living here then, even though it was known that he was not really interested in selling. Dad being a man of quick decisions asked the Doctor “how much”? The Doctor responded with a figure that no local would ever pay: $11,000. After noting mom’s excitement in having a home to raise her family, dad said “we’ll take it”! This was cause for speculation in the community about the sanity of this new home buyer. On August 1, 1943 the Faessels moved in and the Irvins then relocated to 623 North Lemon Street.
Norb was very active in our local citrus industry in the 1940’s. By 1945, dad was working for Frank Belmont’s Granada Packing House as their sales manager. After the Granada burned down, dad was a salesman for the California Citrus Cooperative by 1948, finally becoming a citrus broker for A. Arena and Company’s office here in Anaheim and later in Los Angeles where he stayed until retiring.
Us kids were each involved in the citrus industry in our own ways. My brothers John and David were often called upon on cold nights to help “smudge”, coming home in the wee hours oily black. Many of you probably remember sitting at your radios at 8:00 PM listening to the frost reports on KFI as our family always did, my sister Joan taking notes for dad.
While dad still worked in Anaheim, he was active in civic affairs, becoming President of the Kiwanis in 1948 and running for the City School Board in 1951.
On July 28, 1950 one more child joined the household. Now with three teenagers and a new baby in the house, a family room
became a necessity and construction began on this “rumpus room” in 1951. Local builders John and Cecil Seale were the
contractors, Steve Kish providing the plumbing. Mr. Sweet from Fullerton installed the handsome brickwork. Our across the
street neighbor Ernest Ganahl, special ordered the clear (no knots) redwood for the interior, that old growth type of lumber
almost impossible to cut today. Although not in keeping with the architecture of the main house, lots of high school and family
parties were held here.