IMG-210x352


The Anaheim

Historical Society

Home Tour

THE FOLLOWING IS TAKEN FROM

   THE TOUR  GUIDEBOOK

CONDUCTED October 11-12,2008

 

 

 

Grim1This classic Foursquare home was built in 1904-1905
for Thomas and Agnes Grim.  As co-owner of
Grim-Ganahl Lumber, Grim could afford the finest
of building materials, and that is apparent with a
visit to the home.
The Grims raised two daughters in the home, and
remained there for their lives.  The daughters sold
the home to Dr. Catherine Mary Margaret O’Brien
and her brother Gerald.
The house was originally located at Lincoln Avenue
and Melrose Street, and was eventually acquired by
the City and used for Neighborhood Preservation
Department offices for years before being moved to
its present location on Vintage Lane, where it sits
among neighbors that have also been relocated.

Previous owners Ron and BettyJack Waltz began
the restoration, but were unable to move into the
house.

Grim2-121x165The home was recently purchased by sisters Carol and Helen
Garner.  The Garners are serial restorers, having completed

Grim3-286x220multiple “old house rescues” in the Anaheim Colony, with this
being their largest project so far.  The Garners were recipients of
the 2008 Margaret Atkins Memorial Preservation Award from
the Anaheim Historical Society, presented at our annual banquet.

The Grim House is open for the tour as a “hard hat” house,
encouraging other homeowners in mid-project.  We see the
“before and during” at this year’s tour, and hopefully we will be
invited back to see the “after” in the future.

 

SwirlSwirlSwirl

This Queen Anne Victorian was built for John H.
Clabaugh and his wife Julia in 1889.  John worked Olive1
as the city’s railroad agent and station master.
At the time, the home was the only residence
structure on the block, its only neighbor was the
elegant Hotel Del Campo across the street, which
later made way for smaller residential
development.

The three bedroom home was a busy place,
providing shelter for John, Julia, and their
children, Elise, Roy, Ernest, Lillian, Rose, Henry,
Ada, and Julia’s sister Emma, a dressmaker.

Over time the house fell into disrepair, and by the
time the current owner, Steve Goodyear, found the
house, it was an abandoned relic, with vagrants
living in and under the house.  But the empty shell
was the perfect project for Steve, who also owns
Roseville, a period design company

Olive2-264x221“Over the top” is the only way to describe Steve’s Victorian eye for exuberance,
as every corner of the home has been painted, papered, fringed, and laced.  It
is quite possible that the home is more Victorian today than under the care of
Julia Clabaugh, and the result is breathtaking.

 

 

SwirlSwirlSwirl

KellenThis classic California bungalow was built in 1913
from a design directed by homeowner Adele Spoerl
Kellenberger, and executed by notable Santa Ana
architect Frederick Eley, and is on the National
Register of Historic Places.

Adele began the house project as a widow, but
eventually married John Kellenberger, Anaheim’s
marshall from 1911 to 1918.  Marshall Kellenberger
was shot breaking up a saloon fight, but fortunately
survived the wounds to greet his infant son months
later.

This Craftsman bungalow has many fine
architectural details:  decorative braces and
latticework vents accent the front and side gables.
Exposed rater tails with stair step notching line the
eaves.  The clapboard siding consists of wide
boards alternating with two thin boards in a
decorative pattern.  A specially lovely and unusual
feature is the exquisite leaded glass in the transoms
above the picture windows, trimming the house
front with rows of stylized tulips and green leaves.
And, of course, a pergola opens from the dining
room to the outside.

The home has been in the Kellenberger family for three generations, with
granddaughter Jackie Frahm as the current owner and steward of the home.  The
home is unique in that it retains its original features – all of them.  From the original Kellen2-143x198
woo
Kellen1-143x198dwork, light fixtures, and even wallpaper, to the 1920s era contents of the kitchen
junk drawer, the home remains as if John and Adele Kellenberger had just stepped
out for a trip to one of Anaheim’s many fine downtown businesses and might return at
any moment.

Furnishings include a Tonk piano, one of the leading manufacturers of upright pianos
at the time, as well as Chinese curios given to Kellenberger by residents of Anaheim’s
China Town who enjoyed the protection of the marshall.  The deep yard is liberally
planted – from the decorative such as roses, azaleas, camellias, hibiscus, geraniums,
and Japanese irises to the eatable such as loquats, guavas, grapes, peaches, apricots,
persimmons, and figs.  With many original plantings still growing well, it is a reminder
of the typical yard a prosperous merchant in Anaheim would have during the early 1900s.

A visit to the Kellenberger house is a rare treat and a step back in time to Anaheim’s
history.

SwirlSwirlSwirl

 

This eclectic cottage combines the best of Queen
Anne Victorian of the 19th century and the
Craftsman movement of the 20th century in a
remarkable home.
Dickel
Originally built in 1890 for Anaheim pioneers
Herman Dickel and Rose Schmidt Dickel, this
Queen Anne cottage was located at the southeast
corner of today’s Pearson Park.  After the family
sold the 20-acre property to the City for
development of the park in the 1920s, the house
was moved to its current location on Citron between
Broadway and Santa Ana Street.  Developer
William W. Crone (Crone Street is named for him)
added Craftsman elements popular at the time and,
shortly afterward, he added a second floor for his
family of five.

The home is now the residence of Lonny and Helen
Myers and their family who have lovingly renovated
the house, maintaining both its Victorian roots with
the later Arts and Crafts elements that reflect the
history of the house and its ownersDickel2-200x286

Inside, the Myers’ collection of antiques mixes with
Victorian Revival wallpapers and accessories to
create a comfortable and charming home.  The
Crone family additions are seen in the front entry,
where the original entry became a closet, complete
with telephone shelf.  The bay window was filled in

by Crone, and a bank of French doors now floods
the living room with light.  Through the archway,

Dickel3the dining room hearth is original to the house.  The
high ceilings and enormous double hung windows

keep the house comfortable in even the hottest
weather.  Original woodwork and hardware mix
with Helen’s soft color palette and Lonny’s
handyman projects for a truly unique home
.

 

SwirlSwirlSwirl

AckermanThis Spanish Colonial Revival style home was built
in 1929 at a cost of $4,500 for Harry Akerman and
his wife Yuarda.  Harry co-owned Akerman and
Elliott, a service station on West Center Street,
roughly where Disney Ice now stands.  At the time,
the home was one story in height, and was reported
to be the second home in the area built for the
Akermans.  The first, located on the next block, was
identical in design, but the owner wanted the house
set further from the lot line, and reportedly had this
one built after selling the first.  The one story “twin”
can still be seen on Indiana Street.
After the Akermans sold the home, the house went
through several owners before becoming the home
of the Arkyns family.  The Arkyns created the
second floor addition in the mid 1980s, matching
details of the original home with such precision that
the lines of new and old blur.  Former owner and
Anaheim Historical Society member Gail Kramer
put her own touches on the home before selling to
Chris and Christie Maya, the current owners.
Chris Maya is a woodblock artist whose work is seen throughout the home, and he donated the sale of one of his pieces recently to
benefit the Anaheim Historic Society.  Together, Chris and Christie have decorated the home to reflect the aesthetics and mood of a
classic 1920s Spanish Colonial Revival home, using early California paintings, era prints, and Mexican folk art.
SwirlSwirlThis charming cottage is a kit home, the Pacific
Ready-Cut Style #478.  It was built in 1923 for
George and Nettie Dieham, Iowa farmers who
retired to Anaheim and watched their home being Dieham1
constructed board by board.  The Diehams lived
in the home the remainder of their lives.  After
their passings, three other owners came and went,
sometimes leaving the house vacant for stretches,
before the current owners bought the house in 1990.
Ron and Gail Eastman fell in love with their kit
house, and have spent the better part of the last
two decades restoring and rehabilitating it.  The
Eastmans retained original features, such as built
in cabinets, moldings, and windows, while using a
creative vision to make some of the private rooms
more livable, with additions such as an en suite
bathroom in the master bedroom.  A new garage
and loft space make the most of the lot.  Ron and
Gail are very involved in the Anaheim community,
and Gail serves on the Planning Commis- sion, so
the home is the site of frequent meetings and
neighborhood gatherings.  The warm colors within,
copied from the original paint swatches, also reflect
the warm hospitality of the Eastman family.Gail and the Eastman home were featured on a
KNBC special on Pacific Ready-Cut Kit homes.
Although many are familiar with Sears kit homes, very few were built in
California.  Other companies, perhaps most notably the Pacific Read-Cut
company of Los Angeles, offered catalogs of houses to potential
homeowners here in the west.  In fact, over 37,000 Pacific Ready-Cut
homes were sold from 1908 to 1940, and they can be found today in
virtually every community in Southern California with bungalow
neighborhoods.
Dieham2-297x209The house pieces, about 12,000 pieces of pre-cut lumber, plus paint, roofing
shingles, built-in cabinets, lighting, electrical wiring, and even the kitchen
sink would arrive by railroad boxcar to be trucked to the building site.  A
carpenter or even a homeowner of average ability would then assemble the
home’s individually numbered pieces using a 75-page instruction booklet.
In the early decades of the 20th century, homeownership for the working classes became a widespread reality for the first time
in American history due in considerable part to the proliferation of affordable catalog homes.  For more information on Pacific
Ready-Cut homes, see the Anaheim Historical Society booth at Ticket Sales to purchase a copy of
California’s Kit Homes by
Rosemary Thornton and Dale Wolocki.
SwirlSwirlSwirl
OelkeThis bungalow was built for Frank J. Oelke and his
wife Julia in 1921 for $2,000.  Mr. Oelke, a tractor
operator, sold the home in 1924, and it became a
rental for several years before being purchased by
Rush and Pearl Grange.  The Grange family owned
and operated the Home Oil Company, with
headquarters nearby on Broadway at Manchester
Avenue.  The Granges enclosed the front porch in
1932, using original materials so that the addition is
nearly undetectable.  Rush Grange also excavated a
basement beneath the house and overlaid a sunroom
on the space above.  Over time, the Grange family
sold the home and it became a rental again, with
tenants imposing their own often unfortunate choices
on the house.
Jennifer Gandy purchased the home and put her
own creative stamp on the house, creating a
fabulous art deco bathroom from what had been a
closet!  The home appeared inAmerican Bungalow
Magazine
and Mary Engelbreit’s Home Companion.
Jennifer married Dan Harrison, and together they
continued restoring the home, inspired by the bright
colors of the 1950s.
Recently , Jim and Betty Lanthripe purchased the bungalow.  The new owners converted the home back to the ’20s theme with
Mission style furniture and colors.
When the Lanthripes purchased the home in 2004, the 1930s era finished basement was transformed into an English-style pub
theme.  Jim had spent many winters traveling in Europe on snowboarding trips and wanted to duplicate a room where everyone felt
welcome.  A “Pub” is a “Public Place” where neighbors can get together for all kinds of reasons.  The Basement Pub has been a
meeting place for all types of parties, business meetings, Bible studies, and even a church service.  To this day, there are still weekly
movie nights where all neighbors are welcome to come over for drinks, lively conversations, and a movie.  While the Basement Pub
is open for today’s tour, please use caution as the stairs are extremely steep.The stained glass in the house was added at different times between the years 2004-2008.  The artist, Jan Brookhart, lives in
Westminster in The Stained Glass Castle that can be seen from Beach Blvd.The current owners are movie buffs, and their collections of movie memorabilia are seen throughout the house. 

NOTE:  The Home Oil Company building (on Broadway and Hessel), owned by the Grange family, was recently saved from the
bulldozers by a group of preservationists, including the Anaheim Historical Society.  The City hopes to design a public park
around the site.