tourlogo

500 North Clementine Street
(Boege/Faessel House)
This fine, single story Mission Style home was built in 1923 for Dr. Charles Boege. The open colonnade and palm gardens were
intended to evoke images of early California. Dr. Boege and his brother opened a dental clinic on the corner of Sycamore St. and
Anaheim Blvd (now Anaheim Free Clinic) and were often seen walking to work from this Northpark home.
In 1943 the home passed to Norbert and Eleanor Faessel, recent Chicago immigrants. Mr. Faessel was for many years a citrus
buyer and together with Mrs. Faessel raised four children in this very original and well maintained home.
507 North Clementine Street
(Ruitcel/Hranuelli House)
This modest frame bungalow was built about 1925 for a Mr. J. P. Sebastain. Homer
Wallace, retired chief building inspector, advises that his high school drafting class
(1923) actually drew the plans for this house. One other house was built with these
plans and still stands on North Richman Ave. in Fullerton.
Albert and Iona Ruitcel purchased the house in 1931, nine years after purchasing the
F. Backs Furniture Store five blocks away.
The family operated Ruitcel-Wethered Furniture, later Smith-Reafsnyder Furniture and
the house is furnished with original pieces.
Katy Ruitcel Hranuelli, A.C.’s granddaughter and her husband Nick are gradually restoring this gracious home.
510 North Clementine Street
(Scott/Loly/Lambert House)
This large two story Mission Style home was built in 1923 for Mr. W. W. Gregg. It was sold
to Thomas V. Scott in 1936. Mr. Scott was a partner in the Scott & Borden Packing House
at 709 E. Lincoln Ave., one of the largest citrus packers in Orange County.
In 1940, Victor and Sarah Loly moved in with their daughters Victoria and Patricia.
Mr. Loly was a well known and loved jeweler and civic leader. Daughter Victoria tells of
her father’s life long love of exotic birds. Loly raised and sold birds during the Depression
and was hired by William Wrigley to supervise the Bird Farm at Avalon.
After Loly’s death in 1963, Mrs. Loly sold the house to Chester and Alberta Lambert. The Lambert’s raised five children in this
very original home. Mr. Lambert is a retired independent businessman while Alberta has recently obtained her B.A. and M.A.
in Art from California State University Fullerton.
511 North Clementine Street
(Nichols/Valenti House)
511
This spectacular Mission Revival home was built in 1931 by Mr. & Mrs. L. P. Nichols. Mr.
Nichols was a mathematics teacher at Anaheim High School for many years and is credited
with building the first post WW II housing subdivision in town. This very large home has a
vaulted ceiling in the large living room and a dramatic curved staircase. Everywhere are
details of fine craftsmanship. The house changed hands several times in the 1950s and
1960s, often with dubious improvements. Michael and Donna Valenti have recently
purchased the house and are gradually rolling back years of neglect. A new garage studio
and patio are being added in the style of the original house.
515 North Clementine Street
(Adams/Allen House)
This faintly English Tudor style home was built in 1931 by Mr. H. M. Adams, partner in
Adams & Bowers Lumber, later Gibbs Lumber. Mr. Adams used the finest lumber and
craftsmen in the construction to showcase his business. The house features a dramatic
sunken living room with recessed oval ceiling. The kitchen remodel and second floor are
late 1970s additions. Cliff and Suzanne Allen purchased the home recently and are
gradually restoring its original appearance.
600 North Clementine Street
(Friis/Miranda House)
This Moderne style bungalow house was built in 1941 by Leo J. and Lena Jane Friis. Mr.
Friis, an Iowan by birth, moved to California to attend Law School at the University of
Southern California. He established his law practice and residence in Anaheim in 1926.
Mr. Friis was the City Attorney for many years and authored more than ten books on local
history. Leo was recognized for his lifetime achievements in 1976 when the Anaheim City
Council appointed him Historian Laureate of Anaheim, a post he held until his death in
1980. Lena Jane is remembered for her service to the American Red Cross especially
during the war years. The modest two bedroom house is in mint original condition. Even
the wool broadloom carpet is original having been recently cleaned and relaid by Alfred
Miranda,
the present owner.
611 North Clementine Street
(Minor/FitzSimons)
This miniature, Spanish Castle was built in 1926 for William A. Minor about which not
much is known. The house changed hands many times over the years until purchased in
1981 by Loren FitzSimons. The house has a large arched window on the living room,
hardwood floors, and mahogany doors. The house demonstrates the care and quality that
went into even modest homes of the period.
620 North Clementine Street
(Krenzler/Seiter House)
This Italianate cottage was built in 1924 for the John E. Krenzler family, longtime members
of the White Temple Methodist Church. This house, with its arched windows and recessed
vestibule went through a succession of owners and remodels until purchased by James
Seiter in 1987. James has replaced many doors and much woodwork with pieces salvaged
from other houses being torn down. Again note the many fine details.
712 North Clementine Street
(Loudon/Denver House)
Loudon and A.E. Hargrove co-founded the Anaheim Halloween Festival as “a more
appropriate use for a bed sheet”. Mr. Loudon’s guests included President Herbert Hoover
and many local and state political figures. Son Howard tells us the nickname “Guv” was
after an uncle, former Governor of Indiana. During Loudon’s tenure in Santa Monica he
became acquainted with members of the Barnum & Bailey Circus who wintered in town.
While there, Loudon had the honor of becoming namesake and godfather to the new baby
hippo. Ever after, when the circus played Anaheim introduction of the bloodthirsty, wild
hippo “Lotus” brought gales of laughter from the Loudon children in attendance The
English storybook cottage was originally one story and later expanded as the family grew.
Kitchen and bathroom remodels were done by the present owner’s Ed and Frances Denver.
Lotus H. Loudon and his family were forced to live in a small guest house until the main house was finished in 1923. The demand
for houses was so great that contractor Durkee couldn’t keep up with the demand in the 700 block. “Guv” and Hazel Del Loudon
moved to Anaheim from Santa Monica where “Guv” had been working on the Santa Monica Outlook.
Loudon purchased the Orange County Plain Dealer with assistance from his friends Col. P.E. Stanton and Alfonso Bell. The
afternoon dailies name was changed to the Anaheim Bulletin and continuously published by Loudon. The paper campaigned
vigorously against the Ku Klux Klan intrusion of the 1920’s.
737 North Clementine Street
(Epstein/Golder/Lindquist House)
This charming English Cottage was built in 1925 for Kurt Epstein, nephew of
Mr. Falkenstein who owned the dry goods store. Mr. Epstein lived here many years and
operated a fashionable dress shop next to McCoy Drugs. In 1942, he sold the house to
Mrs. Dorothy and Miss Dora Gene Golder. Miss Golder is fondly remembered as an
English teacher at Anaheim High School for more than 35 years. The privileged student
was invited to Sunday afternoon “readings” in Miss Golder’s living room. These special
afternoons introduced selected young people to local scholars and authors who would
read and discuss current literature.
The wood spool-work motif outside the front door is carried on through the interim in
kitchen and dining areas. Note the beehive tile fireplace in the living room and lion’s head
fountain on the patio. New owners Troy and Bridget have only been in the house a few
weeks and are planning careful restoration of original features.