ANAHEIM’S FIRST
SCHOOL

3723

In the fall of 1859, August Langenberger (who opened the first store in Anaheim) prepared a petition, signed by a
number of citizens, requesting that a school be opened in Anaheim.  The request was granted by a Los Angeles County
Superintendent of Schools, however the colonists needed to first hire a teacher and build a school building.

In San Francisco, Frederick Kuelp was conducting a private school.  As he was also one of the vineyard lot owners in
Anaheim, he was asked to become the colony’s first teacher.
 Because he was in financial trouble (all of his income was
being funnelled into his lot), he declined the offer.
The colonists quickly guaranteed a home and assistance.  Finally he agreed to come.
To help him financially, he was appointed the justice of the peace and he took on the job of notary public.  They also
supplied him with fruits and vegetables.
An old Indian adobe lodging house was made into a school room. Carola, Regina and Fred Langenberger, Elmina and
Louise Lorenz, Pifanio and Antonio Burrel and Tomas and Felipe Yorba were the first students.
 Some of these students
lived in the area that is now Olive Street.
Kuelp didn’t teach school in German or Spanish – instead, he taught in English.
Soon, an adobe building was erected at 124 Elm Street.  This became a school and living quarters for the Kuelp family.
The adobe schoolhouse was submerged in the flood of 1862 and collapsed.  The school supplies, furniture, and Mrs.
Kuelp’s piano were badly damaged.
Teaching was resumed in the original school room in the old Indian lodging.
As enrollment increased, Kuelp struggled with teaching in such small quarters.  His health failed and in 1869 he had a
physical collapse.